WAVERLY, TN (WSMV) -
A local county law enforcement agency, already facing federal indictment, may have another black eye. Once again it involves a Humphreys County sheriff’s deputy beating an unarmed man.
But this time, the accused deputy wasn’t even in his own jurisdiction. He was in another county.
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is looking into the accusations after a tow truck driver named Glenn Capps says he was getting cigarettes at the Pilot station in Humphreys County.
Capps was then followed by Humphreys County deputies who said Capps was suspicious. He was followed all the way to Hickman County, where Capps was inside the Barnett’s Wrecker Service building.
Then, according to Capps, he told the officers to go away and that they had no jurisdiction. The officers then entered the building.
Now, Capps’ nose is broken, and he is charged with resisting arrest and driving on an expired license.
“With no probable cause, his face was smashed into a car and the building searched. All without a warrant and all outside of Humphreys County,” said 23rd District Public Defender Jake Lockert.
Humphreys County Sheriff Chris Davis fired one of the officers and suspended the other after he looked at the high quality surveillance tape at Barnett’s.
Mike Patrick, a city attorney in New Johnsonville, a judge in McEwen and a lawyer in Waverly, has filed an ouster lawsuit to remove Sheriff Davis.
“The county deserves better that we’ve got, and what we’ve got I think is escalating and deteriorating at the same time,” Patrick said.
Patrick contends there are so many things wrong with the beating and arrest of Capps it’s hard to decide what is most wrong.
“Without provocation, without justification, without the color of the law,” he said. “Throw the constitution out the window and call it a day. Nothing about this appears to be right, but thank God for video cameras.”
Patrick has subpoenaed the videotape. He has legal right, because of his ouster suit, and he is expected to get that tape from the TBI next week.
Last week, the Justice Department indicted two other Humphreys County sheriff’s deputies for allegedly violating the civil rights of an unarmed man.
Tim Hedge, 50, and Benji Lee, 32, face a sentence of up to 10 years in prison if they are convicted in the case of the videotaped beating of Darrin Ring in January 2011.
Ring was reportedly beaten and tasered for 19 minutes. He was then taken to jail where witnesses say he was beaten and tasered again.
Most of the beating and tasering reportedly came after Ring was handcuffed by the deputies, and his injuries included broken ribs and a punctured lung.
- popeanon reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- soiledphotos likes this
- thewaronindifference reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- bittersweetaubade reblogged this from hairtrending
- hairtrending reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- hairtrending likes this
- chrissydaniels reblogged this from generalbriefing and added:
- theyoungwitch reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- vantwinblade reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias and added:
- mopwnb likes this
- thecoffeebreaklife likes this
- generalbriefing reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- eterp reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias and added:
- mustachenmuscles likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from lunarpolitics
- ianishollywood reblogged this from rexcerebri and added:
- rexcerebri reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- blissful-moontrip reblogged this from real-news
- real-news reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- sarahlee310 likes this
- butchrosser likes this
- drfarrington likes this
- politicspoliticseverywhere reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- starry-starry-eyed likes this
- stoneagechronicles reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- destroythegop likes this
- jkruton reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- commiefemme reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president reblogged this from lunarpolitics
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president likes this
- lunarpolitics reblogged this from beatyourselfup
- beatyourselfup posted this